Hi Steve,

Am 24.05.2011 um 13:20 schrieb Steve Haavik:

>> I'm currently failing in reaching any of the VMs via their interfaces
>> connected to the 1.2.3.128/25. I've configured firewall rules to allow ICMP
>> echo requests as well as TCP ports 80 and 443 for destinations in that
>> subnet on the WAN interface. I can see that traffic is blocked when I
>> disable these rules and is passed if I leave them enabled. If I do an HTTP
>> request, I see CLOSED:SYN_SENT/SYN_SENT:CLOSED in pfSense's "Diagnostics:
>> Show States".
>
> I've done a few setups like this. Make sure you have rules allowing the
> return traffic from OPT to WAN. To make sure you aren't getting bit by your
> webserver virtual machine routing the return traffic out the other interface
> (I don't know, it could happen...) try to setup a vm that only connects to
> vswitch2 and see if you have the same problem. Can you ping the vm from the
> firewall? Try pinging from each interface on the firewall.
>
> If you can ping it fine when it's only connected to one vswitch, but not when
> you add the second interface to the vm it's probably a routing issue on the
> vm. Do you have default routes set for both interfaces on the webserver? If
> you do "netstat -rn" you should see entries for both interfaces. Something
> like this:
>
> Destination Gateway       Genmask   Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
> 0.0.0.0     1.2.3.1       0.0.0.0   UG        0 0          0 eth0
> 0.0.0.0     1.2.3.129     0.0.0.0   UG        0 0          0 eth1

that was the missing hint in the right direction – problem solved!

Indeed the return traffic had been sent through eth0, even if it originally
arrived through eth1. The solution was to create a custom routing table as
described on Darien Kindlund's blog:
http://kindlund.wordpress.com/2007/11/19/configuring-multiple-default-routes-in-linux/

root@test:~# echo "1 ssl_sites" >> /etc/iproute2/rt_tables
root@test:~# ip route add 1.2.3.128/25 dev eth1 src 1.2.3.150 table ssl_sites
root@test:~# ip route add default via 1.2.3.129 dev eth1 table ssl_sites
root@test:~# ip rule add from 1.2.3.150/32 table ssl_sites
root@test:~# ip rule add to 1.2.3.150/32 table ssl_sites

Thank you all for your tremendous support!

Andreas