Google just shut down the google talk windows client infrastructure and I hate
using the gmail web client for my chats. I’ve been scrambling all morning to
find a chat client that will connect with my google chat peeps. So far NOTHING
has worked, and I’m not sure if it’s because google shut down Google Talk
windows client, or whether I’m just configuring this wrong. (chats through
gmail web client still works fine)

I know I’m entering my gmail username and password correctly, but all config
beyond that has contradictory (and super old) info listed out there. Is there a
known successful set of configs for pidgin to work with Google?

For example:
- Protocol – XMPP?
- Resource??
- Connection security -  (Require encryption? Use encryption if available? use
old-style SSL?)
- Connect Port??
- Connect Server – talk.google.com??

Please help.