Hi Gene,

Could you check in Task Manager that Pidgin is or isn't running?

If it's not running, it could be crashing when it opens.  Just to double
check, can you follow the instructions at
https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/TipsForBugReports#ObtainingaDebugLog to
get a debug log, and attach it along with the Pidgin.rpt file that lives at
%appdata%\.purple in an email reply back to us.  Hopefully one of those two
will shed some light on where the problem is.

Cheers,
Eion