Benjamin Bentmann wrote:

TestNG is not designed only for the fancy tests, it can run the simple unit
tests, too. Dan, to me it looks you/Surefire are pushing something like "If
you want unit tests, use JUnit, if you want function/integration tests, use
TestNG" by punishing those that employ TestNG for the simple use-case. I am
neither a JUnit nor TestNG fanatic but I can't follow your XOR-like argument
here.

You CAN use TestNG for unit tests; the simple use case does work. It's just not as nice as you might wish it were. My argument is that this isn't very important because there's a better alternative available for unit tests.

-Dan