Anyone who would like an introduction to spherical harmonics
expansions could have a look at this(which I wrote myself)
http://www.regonaudio.com/SphericalHarmonics.pdf
as an introduction for audio people.

It is perhaps worth noting that spherical harmonics
(and Fourier expansion of periodic functions)
are both special cases of expansion in eigenfunctions
of the Laplacian on a Riemannian manifold, a Riemannian
manifold being a generalization of the idea of a surface.
(I do this stuff for a living--excuse my wandering off
into generality).

But the article linked to is very down to earth!

Robert