On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 02:47:25AM +0100, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> it does not correspond to any particular point on the sphere, but it
> is a sample nonetheless.

Yes, a sample in the spectral domain.

> when explaining that to students, i often
> use an image analogy:
> when i want to transmit an image of a meadow, it's best to just
> paint one big green pixel first. not much, but already gives you a
> rough idea it's not going to be about polar bears.
> next, divide it into four, the upper two blue, the lower two green.
> then sixteen, and so on, and eventually we get the cow and the
> birds. point is, we will be able to make out the cow and the birds
> way earlier than if we had used very small pixels right from the
> start and displayed them left-to-right, top-to-bottom.

A nice analogy. In fact the second step (after the full greenish square)
should be: 'add a layer of paint so that the top becomes more blue and
the bottom more green, keeping the average color of the picture the
same'. And so on. Each step affects the whole picture.

> that is hopefully similar to the discrete sampling approach of the
> naive KH microphone curtain vs. spherical decomposition to get a
> reasonably correct idea across.

Yes. It's also how many image compression algos work :-)

>  you can't imagine how difficult it is to sell the concept to
> tonmeisters - the more experienced, the harder. no point in
> frightening them off right from the start ;)

I know... OTOH, Tonmeisters (who have gone through 4 or 5 years of
academic education to get the title) should have some understanding
of this...

> i look forward to the day when i'll be able to digest fillipo's
> papers. incidentally, i have no pressing plans for the next decade,
> so there is hope :)

Any time invested in this won't be wasted.

Ciao,

--
FA

There are three of them, and Alleline.