Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
 > recording insects with a soundfield will probably yield even better
results.

Been there, done that. As many insect and nature sounds, such as cicadas,
mosquitos, rain, wind etc. are "noise type" sounds, they don't include
point sources that localize sharply to any direction.

A Soundfield recording of mosquitos sounds good, but in fact you get almost
the same impression by using for example two stereo recordings of
the same type of material. I have noticed that if you spread a stereo signal
into the Ambisonic soundfield by panning L and R directly to West
and East, you lose all directivity. A better solution is to pan one stereo
pair for example into 40 and 320 degrees and another to 150 and 210.
This is what you do in 5.1 mixing, eh? But with B-format you have the
possibility to tweak that soundfield even more.

You often hear the cicadas "sing" in "waves". The insects in certain
directions are louder at one moment, then fade and others in other
directions fade up at the same time. That is something that might be
good to record with the Soundfield.

it
should be possible to obtain outdoor speakers that withstand these
conditions for years. of course they will cost a lot more

I have good experiences of the JBL Control 1 AW model, "All Weather".
Is it too small for your use, Gus? Control 1 makes a mighty loud noise,
even though it is small in size. We once had eight of them in a periphonic
cube outdoors in the Finnish climate in December (rain, snow, slash, zero
degrees, -28 C degrees, then plus degrees and over again from the start)
playing continously for four weeks 12 hours every day. All worked
fine all the time. When we took the installation down, I had to hit two of the
speakers hard with my fist so that I could break the ice that had formed
around the speaker. Anyway, the speaker was playing back fine.

Another type of speakers I have used in outdoor installation, are speakers
that have been designed for boats. They are full plastic and tolerate even
sea water. A set of 16 ran a month in an installation in a park in the
summer of 2009. I think they were LTC speakers.

Eero