Message: 6
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 23:56:42 +0100
From: f...@kokkinizita.net
Subject: Re: [Sursound] Why do you need to decode ambisonic/b format

First, don't try and send HTML to this list, as you can see it will
be removed.

Sorry - I  dont know what you mean - as far as  Iknow  I haven't sent any
html to this list (at least not intentionally) - I assume you don't mean
links as there was no link in my original message and
 there are also many links in the messages on this list.

Your question reveals that you have not even started to study and
> understand Ambisonics theory - the answer would be quite evident
> in the other case

Obviously - or I wouldnt be asking how it works.....  I do however have a
lot of experience creating 3d soundscapes (in fact its my job) and have
spent a reasonable amount of time studying a wide range of psychoacoustic
topics and other areas pertaining to sound art. Now Ive read a bit more it
is certainly something I will be persuing.

. You could as well ask a engineer why he needs
> complex numbers while you can do your bookkeeping without.

Engineers ? bookeeping ?  I think I know what you mean.

Hoping you will eventually have a go at it,

I will absolutely be having a go at it - the  replies I received here  has
led me to a flurry of reading - the result is  I am now utterly intrigued by
ambisonics and cant wait to try it out the more I read the more I get sucked
in - I even found myself trying to unravel the maths last night - that might
take a while...)  . I only got so far but as I understand it it uses sound
pressure levels and phase differences to plot x,y,z spherical coordinates
which are then reconstituted in the decoding - out of curiosity Why the need
for the w coordinate - cant the sound pressure level be gleaned from the x,y
and z ? At the moment the soundscapes I am working on are large jungle
soundscapes in a large indoor tropical conservatory  ( covering several
acres)  - perhaps with twenty metres between speakers. Because of the
problems of amplitude panning and the sheer size of the installations often
sounds are localised by using real world object analogues (ie if a monkey is
meant to sound like it comes from behind a certain tree there is a speaker
with a monkey noise behind that tree)a thunderstorm is represented by a
stereo pair high on a hillside - we even had neighbours thinking there was
real thunderstorm happening and it does sound well, realistic (don't take my
word for it you can read the public response here :
http://augustineleudar.110mb.com/Hd/Hod.html ) . This type of localisation
has proved extremely effective and don't think that any system no matter how
clever at fooling the human ear can improve upon a sound actually coming
from the direction its meant to (though recording ambisonically probably
would)  .   Where ambisonics could help in the installation is the insect
noises - at the moment there are large 4 speaker areas with 4mic recorded
insect noises . Gaps in the image are plugged with other speakers with say
cicadas on them - despite the doubts expressed here it also has been
effective perhaps because insect noises are high  frequency and the leaves
on the bushes and trees disperse the sound filling out the sound field.
Generally the effect is pretty similar to being in the rain forest- except
you don't get bitten. However if what I have read about ambisonics is true
it would make it sound even better and there is always room for improvement
.  I am currently trying to translate some of these sound installations to a
format that can be listened to at home - I have to admit 5.1 is a bit
frustrating so ambisonics might hold the key.  What I would like to know is
can the decoding be done with software and then burnt to wav files ?  There
is no way a physical decoder could be in the biome - we generally have to
throw speakers away or sell them on ebay after a few uses because of the
ants and humidity (wav players are in sealed plastic boxes) .   Are there
any ambisonic panners that are VST compatible (I mainly use Nuendo and MAx
MSP) ? Could I design a horizontal surround sound DVD using ambisonic
software for panning and localisation - and then burn 6 wav files and
release it on a 5.1 DVD which could be played on a normal home system ?
best,
Gus

>> --
FA