Hello,

Not related to a comparison with a third order mic but related to
directional cues: I did a quick check using the demo plugin decoding
some tetrahedral mic recordings to binaural. I loaded it into a
Max/MSP patch and did A-B comparisons between two combos consisting of
Tetraproc-Harpex and Tetraproc-Ambdec-SPAT (SPAT for the binaural
virtual speakers). To my ears, this comparison revealed that
directionality was much precise and clear with the TAS combo than with
Harpex. This was particularly noticeable with a recording of birds
singing from tree branches located above the mic. With Harpex some of
the bird calls would jump around spatially as the spectral content of
the call changed whereas with TAS it remained focused and well
localized within a discernible location. I haven't done a test
decoding over speakers so I'm not sure if this would be only related
to binaural decoding.

Best,

Hector Centeno