On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 01:50:22PM +0200, Svein Berge wrote:

> 2011/5/1 Paul Hodges <pwh-surro...@cassland.org>
>
> > An interesting comparison would be to start with horizontal first-order,
> > and then to assess whether the common man finds a switch to full 3D
> > first-order or to horizontal third-order the greater improvement in effect.
> > (So far, I have heard only anecdotal answers to this question.)
> >

> Another anecdotal answer, which doesn't even quite address the question: The
> difference between 1st order horizontal and 3rd order horizontal is easy to
> hear for the common man. This was one of the conclusions of the harpex
> listening tests, and in line with previous tests by Stéphanie Bertet et al.

One more anecdotal answer. At the CdM studio we can switch orders
from 1st to 3rd while mixing multitrack recordings with Ambisonic
panning. The difference is not just obvious to anyone who has tried
it, it's striking.

I've tried many times to convert composers requiring spatialisation
from using discrete channels to Ambisonics. It started to work when
I offered 3rd order. The last example is a project I started working
on just a few weeks ago. The composition was completely worked out in
terms of using an ad-hoc speaker layout. On his first visit to the
studio I demo'd some 3rd order mixes (both done locally and kindly
provided by Joern Nettingsmeier), and let the composer play with the
panning etc. He was converted in no time, and has completely rewritten
the spatialisation (which will be performed 'live' in a concert later
this month).

> More interestingly for us, of course, was that you can get 3rd order
> localization from 1st order material with the harpex decoder.

I'd like to take with some grains of salt. I wonder, how would Harpex
deal with a choir covering almost a semicircle and signing unisono
(e.g. Gregorian). Converting this to the sum of two plane waves just
doesn't make sense.
This is actually something that works well in 1st order, but still
works a lot better in 3rd (tried it using 5 panned spot mics).

Ciao,

--
FA