On 05/24/2011 03:42 PM, Junfeng Li wrote:
Dear Daniel,

Thanks a lot.

I have already read some information on Dolby and Smyth surround headphones.

However, what I could see on these headphones is only the introduction of
the products.
What I now need is some technical/scientific documents/articles to explain
the principle and implementation of these products.
Could you provide some references on it?

Thank you very much.

well, if you have headphones, you have to be doing binaural synthesis.

so what happens is you take the positions of the speakers you want to simulate, and convolve each speaker signal with the appropriate head-related transfer functions for the left and right ear.

the next step (and a pretty important one) is to track the user's head movements, and at the same time crossfade to another set of HRTFs. that's not exactly trivial, but also quite well understood, and there are some free implementations that do the job pretty well.

that's pretty much all there is to it.

in theory :)

what makes it a product is to figure out how to
a) either measure the customer's own HRTFs without annoying them too much (because you want quite a lot of them), or
b) provide some means to select and optimize a generic set of HRTFs.

iiuc, smyth is doing a).

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net