The Harman article basically says that bass in pop music is usually mono
and therefore we should care mostly about the frequency response. Using
multiple subs does helps to smooth the frequency response, but is it
what's most important? There are recordings with stereo bass, so I'd
prefer to hear some directional bass than the usual boring mono bass of
pop music. When I listen to music and sound art, I don't care much if
some bass tones are missing. It's easy to switch from stereo bass to
mono if required. I prefer to leave all options open, even if a small
room is a limiting factor. The type of sub-woofer is also an important
factor (omni vs dipole vs cardioid). Ambisonics can supposedly reproduce
bass from all directions; is it true? I won't know until I try.

I found a bibliography with a good section on bass reproduction :
http://www.aktives-hoeren.de/downloads/LiteraturlisteKleineRaeume.pdf

I hope that my amateurish comments are not too noisy for this list;
as a listener (or music consumer), I have much to learn (and try).