Fons Adriaensen:

> I can *easily* tell from which direction it comes. There is some
> front/back ambiguity if (and only if) I keep my head fixed, but
> that is to be expected.

I have exactly the same experience.

STATIC non varying low frequency tones below ca 80 Hz becomes very difficult
to localize.

But apply sensible envelope gain modulation to get something resembling real
world music envelope modulated onset transients and suddenly there is very
little problem telling the direction of even a very low frequency onset
event.

I agree 100 percent with Fons comment: " *easily* " .....it really is very
easy to hear the direction given what Fons did to make it work while using
constant level sinuoids at LF as a stimulus then it becomes very difficult
to get the direction correctly.

--
Best regards,

Goran Finnberg
The Mastering Room AB
Goteborg
Sweden

E-mail: master...@telia.com

Learn from the mistakes of others, you can never live long enough to
make them all yourself.    -   John Luther