Marc Lavall?e <m...@hacklava.net> wrote:
> In an article I mentioned earlier ("Spatial auditory display using
> multiple sub-woofers in two different reverberant reproduction
> environments"), tests were made in an anechoic chamber where the
> detection was much better than in a small room. The test tones were one
> octave wide with centre frequencies varying between 40Hz and 100Hz.
> Would such tones have high frequency components in an anechoic chamber?

I believe the point that Robert was trying to
make was that *everything* has high
frequency components.  To avoid these the
audio signal would have had to have been
playing since the dawn of time.  Robert also
pointed out this doesn't necessarilly mean that
they matter.  The problem is in trying to prove
that they don't.

> Dipole and cardioid subs excite less room modes than omni subs:
> http://www.kirchner-elektronik.de/~kirchner/DIPOL-CARDIOIDeng.pdf
> http://www.linkwitzlab.com/Woofer%20accuracy.rtf
>
> Would they be a better choice for Ambisonics?

The difference is not between Ambisonics and
5.1 (or whatever), but between the number of
subs you have.  If you have more than one
sub then, if you feed them different signals,
you have the possibility of localising the audio
they produce.  With such a goal, you want to
avoid exciting standing waves in the room, and
so directional subs would be preferable.

> I understand that with ambisonics bass management is not required,
> although a dedicated decoder for 3 or more subs could be considered
> like bass management (when full range speakers are not available).

The difference is not between Ambisonics and
5.1 (or whatever), but between the capabilities
of the main speakers and the subs.  The
purpose of bass management is to direct bass
to speakers that can handle it.  If not all of
your speakers are equally capable of
reproducing bass (and the fact that you have
a sub at all suggests this is the case) then you
would benefit from bass management.

There is nothing magical about Ambisonics
with respect to bass.

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin J Leese
E-mail: martin.leese  stanfordalumni.org