Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

On 07/09/2011 11:13 PM, dw wrote:

Care to send a clip of an impossible-to-sound-as-good-as-with-stereo
recording for me to play with.

well, this kind of stand-off isn't likely to lead anywhere. "sounds good" is very hard to define or even test.

i'm not terribly interested in applying xtc to standard stereo, because i know that perfect xtc is achived with headphones, and i don't like the imaging of stereo over headphones.

But the main reason for in-head effects etc. is probably not related to XTC at all!

I don't like listening via headphones, but this is IMO not related to the stereo image. ( There are certain other problems which are not related to stereo, binaural or 5.1 via headphones, so it is not just an imaging problem.)

Listening to XTC stereo over speakers is actually quite different from listening via headphones, as you can move your head at least to a cetain degree.

A serious listening experience via headphones might require head tracking, unless we clamp the head once more.

Best,

Stefan

P.S.:
IF tonemasters would arduously work to deliver the best-possible 60º stereo mix WITH deliberate cosstalk, I don't think we would see all the folks run around with earphones.

Maybe I am wrong, but...    :-P