> But in a sense it's a valid question at another level. Does HTML5 (in its
> various forms, mostly H.264 i.e. AAC) reliably fall back to something
> usable when you broadcast multichannel material? If it does not, what's the
> use of it? If it does, does it always do so, reliably? If it does but not
> always, when precisely does it sound right even in mono, stereo, 5.1, in
> which setups?...

maybe it needs a table ... any volunteers?

> For me, none of Etienne's files produce any sound, even if they play just
> fine otherwise. My setup is a laptop with mere stereo, over the newest
> version of XP, utilizing both the newest versions of VLC and WinAmp for
> playback.

but what's your browser? That's kinda the point with HTML5 .... takes the
responsibility away from plugins. Its about how up-to-date your browser is
... not the plugins. I'd be very interested in what results you get with
IE9 ... which supports AAC but not sure about multi-channel ones.

Etienne