> currently thinking of using PCI or PCI express cards
Any time that there are multiple devices the chances of having them be offset
in
time increases dramatically.  I've really had a lot of bad experiences, both
with multiple PCI audio devices and with multiple external ADAT devices.  I'm
thinking of one system I saw a few years ago that had three ADAT cards in the
computer to get 24 channels of output.  In that system I occasionally saw
offsets of greater than a millisecond!  But more recently I've seen a system
with four MOTU 24I/O devices for 96 channels of output, and that system had
perfect synchronization between devices.

And of course ASIO drivers are a must.

Eric