In terms of stability of the cards, you really get what you pay for.  RME,
for example, has been superb for years–though at a price.
An economical solution, say the Presonus Firestudio Lightpipe, for example,
has been spotty in connectivity and clocking and was soon sunsetted after
it's release, and still left the cost of DA conversion down the chain..
 We've used the MOTU 24 I/O system with great results thus far (2 units at
96k, 48 channels), and at a middle ground in terms of price.  As you begin
to expand the system and bridge multiple devices, you'll want to consider a
dedicated clock, such as Apogee's Big Ben.

Cheers,
Mike