I agree completely.
The elephant in the room of audio and the reproduction
of music is that in fact most people do not seem
to WANT music at home that sounds like music in concerts.
They say they do, but in practice they have been conditioned--
or perhaps they are just like that--to want something else.

In the case of opera, the singers themselves want something
different. They want mikes on THEMSELVES, individual mikes.
Violinists can be like that too. I read a quote once
from Perlman in response to an interviewer raising the question
of whether he did not find one of his concerto recordings
somewhat over balanced towards the violin
He said(approx)
"My fans do not want to hear the orchestra, they want to hear me."

Singers are typically even worse on this,
But personally I find opera to sound far better
in a naturally done recording. If you can find one.

One of the great things about Soundfield microphone
recordings is that they are almost guaranteed
to be more natural sounding than others because
they are made from one point. RCAF is exactly right here.
One listens from one spot.

This is why something like the Unicorn Fenby Legacy Soundfield
orchestral recording sounds so wonderful: it sounds as an
orchestra sounds when you are there, and of course in one
spot.

Hardly anything is sillier than the idea that several
locations of microphones separated by four or five meters
can somehow be put together in a simple way to sound
like real sound. Talk about all the King's horses and all
the King's men putting Humpty together again...

Robert