> can a tetrahedral mic be used to create a room (correction) impulse response
> in B format? and how?

Yes.

I can make a sensible attempt today for an Ambi rig spaced away from the walls
as the HiFi pundits and other gurus have mandated for years.  This however has
near zero Wife Acceptance Factor.

What i can't figure out is how to EQ for speakers mounted on or close to a
wall.  (Unless the speakers have been designed to work well in such positions.
eg from the Unobtainium Speaker Co.)

This is necessary to move towards Jeff's "integrate in-wall loudspeakers at
pre-specified locations (including ceiling)" except the Supa Ambi Decoder
doesn't need pre-specified locations.  It measures the speaker positions using
the TetraMike.

I think Angelo has tried the 1st method using some naive strategies; just EQing
WXYZ to get matching WXYZ from a Soundfield.  This doesn't give very good
results cos in speaker / room EQ, what you DON'T EQ is probably more important
than what you do.

Perhaps Fons knows more.

You need some strategy like what's used in Dennis' Digital Room Correction but
taking into account multiple speakers and B-format.

I'd dearly love details of what Trinnov do.

If I ever get to grips with 21st century programming tools, I intend to do some
work on this so expect results before the end of the millenium.