On 14/04/2012 04:27, JEFF SILBERMAN wrote:
..
soundstage envelopment and spaciousness)! Indeed, I would never
replace my 3 front loudspeakers with a quadrilateral layout.  Why
three-speaker stereophony never became an end in itself is a mystery
to me. It is not nearly as financially and logistically burdensome as
surround sound and yet its benefits are very tangible.

I would have thought the answer to that was fairly simple - the choice is simply not available in the places the general public buys hifi, such as: http://www.richersounds.com

Note for example that you see listings for either stereo systems or Cinema systems. Anything that involves buying some extra piece of kit, such as a decoder, is out of the question - too complicated, and visibly more expensive. You need a do-everything amp with sufficient outputs at the back, and a simple switch offering, say, stereo, 3-ch stereo, quad, 5.1 (etc., with built-in automatic up-mixing if required - folk may shudder at the thought, but just deal with it). And packages not just of matched pairs of speakers, but matched triplets and quads of speakers - triplets being the "weird" combination for shops and customers alike.

And of course those who do venture into 'real' hifi showrooms need to be able to hear such systems demoed, ~outside~ anything to do with cinema.

Richard Dobson