Hi

I am not sure if this is at all related to the same subject that you are discussing,
but someone sometimes taught me how to reduce the spotness of a
single mono source when panned into the surround soundfield.
This is a problem when you do a surround mix from mono tracks,
the space avalibale is much larger than the 60 degrees of two channel stereo.
In stereo the problem is the opposite, how to make different sound sources
and instruments sit into the audio image so that they don't cover each other.
With surround you notice that you have empty gaps between separate
mono sounds.

Arrange a playback through the studio. Play the track into a speaker, record it
with two microphones, preferably with an OSS plate in between or use a
dummy head. Aim the loudspeaker towards a reflective surface, a wall or
similar. Aim the stereo pair also towards the wall, so that the pair hears
reflected sound differently to each channel.

In the mix, pan the microphones on both sides of the mono source by ear,
say 5...10 degrees on either side. This is to smear the sharpness of the
mono sound. The paths from the speaker to the microphones must be
quite short in order to achieve only a millisecond or two delays.

I don't remember who taught me this, if the person is on the list, please raise
your voice and take the credit. And correct me if I am wrong. However, the
trick works.

Eero