Wow - thats real startrek material right there Dave ! I was letting my
imagination wander in a similar area the other day and was wondering
if the beating/harmonics caused by two beams of electromagnetic waves
could somehow excite the air where their paths crossed causing a sound
to eminate from that spot. Although it may sound a bit out there I
found out from a PHD student that there some Russians doing something
vaguely similar already except they are doing it the other way round -
using ultrasound propogated in a liquid to create light :

http://www.myspace.com/video/12k-line/evelina-domnitch-dmitry-gelfand-quot-xenon-wind-quot-camera-lucida-dvd/7806818