Thats probably it - but if it had been quieter it wouldnt have been heard
at all or rather it would have sounded like a distant bee .  The thing is
when an insect flies really close to your ear its a really loud almost a
physical sensation .I was trying to get that effect when I fly or mosquito
flies really close to your ear and you brush it away.   I would be
difficult to get those sort of pressure levels any quieter from a
loudspeaker on the other side of the path - Under the circumstances I was
prepared to accept a one foot fly but to be realistic its not going to
sound anything like real life without WFS or something similar (Im all for
the "training a fly" solution myself) .