I stopped using RedHat (before Fedora) in favour of Debian, to get out
of the RPM "dependency hell". At the time, there was no YUM to resolve
the package dependencies, like APT does so well. But I remember my
experience with YUM on the XO computer (from the OLPC project); it was
was extremely slow. With Ubuntu it was much faster to customize a new
system for my XO. Here's a few benchmarks to compare YUM with APT:
http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7382/

I know from experience that .deb based distributions are easier to
use than .rpm distributions, especially on slow computers (like the XO
or the Raspberry Pi). For maintainers, rpm packages are easier to build,
so that might be why you prefer Fedora.

Marc