Johan Haspeslagh wrote:
In the Wireless World of 1977 articles there are equations for the
where Sum=L+R and Diff=L-R.

I know nothing about the mathematics, and possiby this has nothing
to do with your problem, but I want to make a note about the decoder
construction, as I did build the WW decoder in the distant past. I had
difficulties in getting the gadget working and almost threw it away and
thought the whole thing was just crap.

This was because there isn't a schematic in the article for the LR/MS
matrix at all. As a sound engineer I had been taught that
M = L + R and
S = L - R
...and built the LR/MS matrix according to that.

The result of the decoding was a total mess and all directions were
completely wrong. I got it right only after I understood that the
S signal was actually made by inverting the L signal, not the R, and
summing the signals together.

The LR/MS matrix is made in the same way in the Elektor, Integrex and
Minim decoders:
M = L + R
S = - (L - R)

I guess this is just a practical solution and saves some components.

Eero