Martin Leese <martin.le...@stanfordalumni.org> a écrit :
> Marc Lavallée <m...@hacklava.net>
> > The article on page 222 is worth reading;
> > "Will ambi-sound shatter the peace and quiet of the stereo market?"
> by Adrian Hope.
>
> Also worth reading is the set of three articles
> which argued the rights and wrongs of SQ
> versus Ambisonics.
>
> The references are:
>
> "The battle for surround sound--which system
> to choose?" by Adrian Hope, New Scientist,
> 1 December 1977, pages 573 to 574.
>
> "SQ's strength is sticking to principles"
> by Benjamin B. Bauer, New Scientist,
> 1 December 1977, pages 574 to 576.

Here's a direct link to both articles :
http://books.google.com/books?id=AxSotc63Fw8C&pg=PA573

The first article refers to "JVC shakes it all around":
http://books.google.com/books?id=fqCC-Lcdn3oC&pg=PA701

So, SQ was designed to accommodate the industry, as a four channels
solution to a two speakers problem...

In the first article, the author wrote:
"... it really does matter if the voice of an actor in a surround sound
production disappears when the broadcast is received on a mono radio.
If the wrong decisions are taken now over a standard for the future, we
shall be stuck with them for decades to come."

The situation is stable: most people are stucked with stereo and
automatic downmixing from surround to stereo, listening in mono outside
of the sweet spot. :-)

> "Don't say quad--say psychoacoustics"
> by Michael Gerzon, New Scientist,
> 8 December 1977, pages 634 to 636.

The direct link :
http://books.google.com/books?id=kMRsaUoXXD8C&pg=PA634

He wrote:

"While relatively few people will be able to accomodate it,
six-speaker hexagonal-layout gives even better results than four, ..."

So many people now have 5.1 systems, but few are using them properly
because they just want stereo (and mono) for practical reasons. This
required "graceful degradation" is probably the most important feature
of a surround standard, and ambisonics offered the best long-term
solution. Instead, there might be just more surround format
obsolescence.

> Note that "Adrian Hope" was the pen name of
> Barry Fox.  I don't know whether these issues
> have also been scanned into Google Books.

Google scanned (almost) all issues from 1952 to 1989 :
http://books.google.com/books?id=wdQYgqDGLLoC&source=gbs_all_issues_r

> (I photocopied them at my local library.)

It's still an appropriate technology, like mono. ;-)

> Regards,
> Martin

Thanks!
Marc