Thanks for the replies.
Actually the Behringers are petty good despite being Behringer they
actually outperformed an AD converter 20 times their price in a blind test
recently  which left many engineers redfaced . Read the hilarityor even try
it yourself  here
<http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-shoot-outs-sound-file-comparisons-audio-tests/335267-lynx-aurora-16-vs-behringer-ada8000.html>
I will take a closer look at Andiamos stuff - however each RME madi carries
64 channels - so anything it connects to has to have at least 64 outs -
whether the be analogue or digital.
Anyway I am quite liking this solution at the moment :

Focusrite RedNet PCIe

Focusrite RedNet PCIe Host Card |
DV247<http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/focusrite-rednet-pcie-card--82689>

and 8 of these:

https://www.kmraudio.com/focusrite-r...-interface.php<https://www.kmraudio.com/focusrite-rednet-5-interface.php>

might be good though :- down to £10,000 !

that is of course assuming you can run two at once on the same computer....

On 6 December 2012 23:47, Gregorio Garcia Karman
<ggkar...@musicologia.com>wrote:

> > Question 1
> > anyone know how to do a 256 channel system ? - can you expand the rme
> with
> > an extra 64 channels somehow ? They would all need to be controlled by
> the
> > same clock so they were perfectly synchronised - perfect timing is even
> > more important than usual in WFS systems.
>
> p 33 of the RME HDSPe MADI FX english manual: you may use up to three MADI
> FX on one machine using OSX aggregation: "The current driver supports up to
> three HDSPe in any combination...." There seem to be people out there
> successfully running at least three cards on one mac (
> http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16009). No idea what the
> situation is on other platforms.
>
> > Question 3 :
> > Can anyone think of a cheaper way of doing this:
> >
> > RME ADI 648 MADI Breakout MADI to ADAT (64 channels each) 4 * £ 1,749.00
> > RME HDSPe MADI FX £1099
> > 32* behringer ADA8000 ADAT converters : £4800
> >
> > Total £12,966 (ish)
>
> ADAT cabling has to be kept short, so I imagine this may condition the
> system design and size of your array.  In you budget you forgot to include
> the second HDSP for a 256 channel count; when comparing two setups cabling
> will probably not turn the coin but is surely not neglect-able (256 XLRs
> vs. ?)
>
> > I was thinking if I could cut down on the madi to adat boxes or DA
> > converters - is there something which uses D-SUB 25 out for example ?
> Some
> > sort of Madi-analogue converter with lots of outs maybe ?
>
> There are a few MADI to analogue breakout boxes out there, many of them on
> dsubs. With the RME M-32 AD or the Direct Out Andiamo line of converters,
> you would only need 8 pieces of equipment vs 36. For instance a setup with
> 8 Andiamos, means about five times less rack space and cabling. If you make
> the calculation I think it would be about ca. 2x - 2.5x more expensive
> (only); I bet you would have a more solid setup and much better sound if
> quality matters.
>
> G.
>

> > --
> > 07580951119