From: sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu [mailto:sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu] On
Behalf Of Martin Leese
Sent: 10 April 2013 17:53
To: sursound@music.vt.edu
Subject: Re: [Sursound] Meandering a bit (not a byte, but perhaps a nibble)

Eric Carmichel wrote:
> While I was enjoying the scent of roses and honeysuckle blossoms
> during my visit, the thought of electronically ?recording? scents and
> odors came to mind (not exactly a new idea). After all, we have
> multiple methods of electronically recording images and sounds.
> It then made me think about sensation, perception, and how ?reality?
> travels across/thru various medium. The amusing thought of an older
> Warner Bros/Bugs Bunny cartoon that referred to ?smell-a-vision? also
> surfaced.
>
> Although I don?t believe scents and odors would enhance movie-goers
> experiences (didn?t director John Waters already try this?), it does
> elicit thoughts of vials of elements and compounds being
> electronically mixed to produce odorants.

The two main systems were called
Smell-O-Vision and AromaRama.  Neither was successful because, while it is easy
to introduce smells into a cinema, it is impossible to get them out again.

John Waters system, Odorama, used with his
1982 movie Polyester, did not suffer from this problem.  He used scratch and
sniff cards.

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin J Leese
E-mail: martin.leese  stanfordalumni.org