> On 23 April 2013 21:05, Matthew Palmer <palme...@mymail.vcu.edu>  wrote:
> > Thanks for the heads-up. Which mics do you use?

Another 2 cents worth.  For Ambisonic recording there are a few alternatives.
 Soundfield research has several models, mostly based on the original Calrec
design.
http://www.soundfield.com/products/mkv.php
http://www.soundfield.com/products/sps422b.php
http://www.soundfield.com/products/dsf2.php

There is another model, the SPS200, which uses MBHO capsules.

http://www.soundfield.com/products/sps200.php

>From the competition we have:
http://www.core-sound.com/TetraMic/1.php

Also, there was a very expensive tetrahedral microphone array manufactured by
AGM, called the MR-1:
http://www.agmdigital.com/page42/page22/page22.html

which is a tetrahedral array constructed of DPA 4012 type capsules.  I mention
this, even though it is no longer offered by AGM, because DPA has told me that
they have stock of the tetrahedral hardware, and if I want another one I can
simply send them a check.  I didn't get so far as to ask how big the check
should be...

As it happens, I've used all of these.  The AGM MR-1 has a little trouble due
the size of the array, but at lower frequencies its performance is flawless.

And there are a number of home-built alternatives.  An probably some others.

At which point I should point out that the quality of the results depends most
critically on the calibration of the system, and secondarily on the size of the
array.  As discussed in previous emails of the past couple of weeks the arrays
very well up to a critical frequency
f = c/2pi*r , where r is the radius of the array.  What this means is that a
tetrahedral array the size of the original Calrec design works almost perfectly
(if properly calibrated) up to about 7 .3 kHz, pretty well up to 10 kHz, and
then goes to hell.  If this sounds bad, then just look at the polar patterns of
a typical omni microphone.  A half-inch omni gets bad above 7 kHz or so.  A 1"
Large-diaphragm microphone is pretty horrible above about 4 kHz except in its
figure-eight patterns.

To reiterate, one of the primary things that the mfgrs of tetrahedral
microphone
arrays have to offer is the accuracy of their calibration.  The inescapable
variations in the frequency response which result from the size of the array,
not the quality of the capsules, require that the array be calibrated
(equalized) to get proper response.

Eric Benjamin