Eric Benjamin wrote:

> Another 2 cents worth.  For Ambisonic recording there are a few
> alternatives.
> And there are a number of home-built alternatives.  An probably some
> others

I try to maintain a list of manufacturers in
Wikipedia at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundfield_mic#External_links

Eric missed only the Russian made Octava
MK-012AM Ambient Microphone, visit:
http://www.oktavausa.com/ProductsPages/Ambient4DMic.html

If people know of others, please add links to
the Wikipedia page.

> To reiterate, one of the primary things that the mfgrs of tetrahedral
> microphone
> arrays have to offer is the accuracy of their calibration.  The inescapable
> variations in the frequency response which result from the size of the
> array,
> not the quality of the capsules, require that the array be calibrated
> (equalized) to get proper response.

As the Octava website does not mention
Ambisonics, I assume you would have to do
your own calibration and conversion to
B-Format.

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin J Leese
E-mail: martin.leese  stanfordalumni.org