On 2013-04-26, Sampo Syreeni wrote:

One has only four degrees. However they are fully independent from each other. In a planewave you know they will always arrive at quadrature. At the same time first order reproduction always mixes in a standing wave component in addition to the propagating contribution. [...]

In case I'm talking about this funny, this is nothing new. Just think about the difference between a systematic first order decode and an in-phase one. The first one is the most reactive. The second one is the most propagation-direction-minded. In between there's the energy decode. (And there can be others as well.)

This really is old stuff. It's just that we've rarely talked about the spherically resonant and/or time domain and/or spatially extended behavior of the various possible decodes and/or acoustic field measurables. Even in the past. :)
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-50-5756111, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2