From: sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu [mailto:sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu] On
Behalf Of Bo-Erik Sandholm
Sent: 26 April 2013 08:10
To: Surround Sound discussion group
Subject: Re: [Sursound] What does a mic with more than 4 channels give you?

I would like to make the comment that is this part of the discussion we are
well in to the psychoacoustic domain.

There are not many, possibly only a very few models of loudspeakers that
produces a sound pressure that even have a faint likeness to The electric input
signal for example a square wave, if you look at the signal from a loudspeaker
in a anechoic environment with just a omni microphone and a oscilloscope.

And actually the recreation of that waveform is not important to how "good" a
loudspeaker is to recreate the Experience of listening the the originally
existing sound environment that was recorded.

This according to unpublished experience of Ingemar Öhman who found that the
wavefront recreational capability of a loudspeaker is not one of the most
important factors in designing A high quality loadspeaker. According to him
there are at least 10 other factors that are more important for the creation of
a load speaker that has a  "neutral".

Regards
Bo-Erik