On Jun 22, 2013, at 6:00 PM, sursound-requ...@music.vt.edu wrote:

> Perhaps readers here have had success with a simple stereo to L-C-R
> converter? I have converted Ambisonic recordings to L-C-R: This is pretty
> easy with any number of plug-ins (I use Harpex for most of my Ambisonic
> processing).

Dear Eric,

I once had to install a stereo sound piece in a long space with the public
along one long side of the space.
It had to also be played from a stereo player / amplifier. I coded the stereo
as M/S, decreased the M signal by about 6db
(i think) & matrixed it back to stereo. I attached the left + right speakers to
the amp, and the centre speaker to
both L+R (there were 4 speaker outputs). It seemed to work very effectively for
both coincident mic recordings and
panned mono (moving) signals. This is of course more or less the same as your
formula: (L+R)/2 for the centre channel
and then increasing the Side component of the signals in the L and R speakers.
Something definitely to tweak "live" as
it depends on the size, the angle to the audience and the acoustics of the
space.

best, Justin.