Maybe the next one should also be mentioned once again,
although it is a rather unorthodox method.

John Whiting used Ambisonic panning and decoding
in the Electric Phoenix live performances. He normally
used four speakers in a rectangle, but once he had problems
with the placement of the rear speakers. He didn't leave the
rear speakers unused, instead he placed the four speakers
in a row or an arc on the same side of the hall with the stage.

According to him the spread of an stereophonic image was
very nice. Not three, but four speakers.

I have sometimes tried this setup for the playback of normal two
channel stereo. I used the decoder in the Stereo Enhance mode
(or Super Stereo, if you like (I don't)).

Eero