I should add that this is not "academic" for me.
From (nonscientific) personal experience, I
have formed the impression that spaced mike techniques
color instrumental sound. Even ORTF--not  very space--
is not as spot on for tone color as Blumlein.(Widely
spaced omnis are all over the map on timbre as a function
of location I think). But this immpression is just another piece of anecdotal evidence.
No one needs to take it seriously, however much I personally
believe it.
But I would actually like to know in some systematic
way if this is true!--or not.

I cannot imagine why people would not want to know this
sort of thing themselves.

One other point: I have read a great many book on
recording techniques, as I am sure we all have.
I have never seen a systematic treatment of this
subject. If the information JN alludes to actually
exists, it is surely a well kept secret from
the authors of those books.(In my experience,
such audio information tends to be like the
midnight kisses in "When I fall in love"--
not there in the sun the next morning. All this supposed
literature of reliable scientific information
tends to turn out to be very dubious stuff if
it even exists , once one starts to look for it
and look at it hard. Even the localisation literture
is not all that convincing in detail as far
as microphone technique is concerned, though there
is a good bit of it. And a lot of it is contradicted
by other parts of it.)

Robert