It is not very nice to have to comment on your own stuff. Instead, I will present a paper of the BBC on the perspectives of Ambisonics for broadcast use. (In my former posting I gave some strong recommendation to include stereo backward-compatible forms of FOA < and > HOA into the proposed "work in progress" standard.)

"Upping the Auntie, A broadcaster's take on Ambisonics"
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/whp-pdf-files/WHP221.pdf

(This was not a "source" for the issued standard/format(s) proposal.)

Some observations from the BBC article:

If a B-Format [2]
(or high order Ambisonics) representation of the sound field were used in place of the mono, stereo and 5.1, this might provide compatibility with current formats and could even help future proof
the archive.

Finally, an obvious advantage of Ambisonics is its ability to convey height information. As will be discussed later, this may offer an improved listening experience. However it can also act as a useful marketing tool (sic...), as it can be considered to be a ‘3D’ audio format.

(4.1)

There is no doubt that the ability to include height is
one of the best known examples of Ambisonics, and it gets people interested and excited about the technology. However, the effect that height information has on the listening experience is not currently well-understood. To assess the value of 3D audio, the effects of the representation of
height need to be investigated.

(Commentary: Yes, but actually which form of height? "Some" height, semi-spherical, full-spherical height? A test has to consider this. There is not just one form height, consequently. Most current loudspeaker configurations with height are semi-spherical, possibly including < some > negative elevation but in very modest form.)

(4.2.4)

Figure 11 shows that the subjects rated stereo as inferior to both 5.0 and
Ambisonics when it came to music.

(Commentary: Even 192/24 stereo bitrates won't change this picture, to answer some recent posting revealing hidden plans of some CEA-linked group to re-edcuate fast food consumers to become wine conaisseus/conoiseurs. No wonder, cos many audiophiles went back to the booming vinyl market, in absence of other choices... :-D )

(4.2.5)

For the two drama
examples more than half of the subjects tested said they struggled to grade the Ambisonics because they preferred the Ambisonic representation of the sound effects but not the dialogue. Comments such as “the sound effects are really good but vocal is not so good, she sounds muted, the sound
effects are lovely” were typical.

Interesting is obviously the chapter 5 ("barriers") section.

Whilst there are channel-ordering
conventions for B-format and higher orders, the increasing dominance of file-based production tech- niques means that standardised file formats and metadata are essential for effective broadcasting
and archiving.

The (current) mandatory part of the format proposal combines FOA (including the established UHJ/LRTQ stereo compatible form), and mixed order 3h1p HOA. The application of the latter has been "field-tested" by several games. (Successfully)

(

Interest in Ambisonics outside the academic and enthusiast communities appears to have risen in recent years. This is most notable in computer games publishing, where gamers have been early adopters of surround sound, and the nature of computer games means that complex DSP can be used for audio. There remains a number of barriers to the adoption of Ambisonics in broadcast production workflows, and the case studies presented in section 3 identify a number of them.

)

Whereas problems with the production workflow is a professional insider-problem (and seems to be fixable, at least if you < want > to fix things), it is more important to think from the customer's point of view.

(Chapter 7)

There could also be an investigation of hybrid methods of delivery which could use
some combination of Ambisonics and discrete channel systems.

I have included this. The proposed combination is stereo - Ambisonics extensions, not Ambisonics hidden in 5.1.

An investigation into how the lossy
audio compression technologies employed in the broadcast chain would affect Ambisonics signals
would also be beneficial.

Has been studied! But I will leave it to others to provide this link.

(I intended to participate in this discussion in a constructive way... :-) )

Best,

Stefan Schreiber