On 01/17/2014 07:29 PM, Aaron Heller wrote:
Jan 2014 Physics Today just landed on my desk and the cover article is by
Tapio Lokki on evaluation of concert halls.

"Tasting music like wine: Sensory evaluation of concert halls"

http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/magazine/physicstoday/article/67/1/10.1063/PT.3.2242

It is labeled "free content," so should be available to anyone.

interesting. what puts me off a little is that they used an ad-hoc mic array of six spaced omnis, without giving any details whatsoever. how good can direction estimates be with that kind of setup? and how do you ensure the reproduced diffuse sound field is accurate?

the actual meat is in here, it seems:
http://scitation.aip.org/content/asa/journal/jasa/133/2/10.1121/1.4770260
but sadly that one is not freely available. can't see myself paying $30 for a casual read...

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net