Mono could also be understood as 4D (or 3D space) .... in the sense
that one can easily recognise certain acoustic spaces with a mono
recording.....  such as a recording of someone talking in a church.

There will be very clear cues, within that recording, that the voice
was captured within a large space that has high ceilings and is
bounded by hard surfaces.

The difference, of course, is that here the perception of space occurs
through 'references' that exist within the sound.... rather than
through experiencing the simulation or mimesis of sensory data.

And by extension a piece of music performed by an orchestra can also
be understood as 4D in the sense that musical form can also allude to
space. In the mono sound recording the reference to space can be
classified as an 'icon' (after Peirce's Semiological framework) the
captured reverberation 'sounds similar' to the sound of a real
experienced church. In a piece of music, the reference might be
'indexical': if you hear a bird-like sound, it might reference some
form of height.

That said, some pieces of music, such as Ligeti's Lontano, very
clearly reference space as 'icons'. The long slow changes in sound
loundness 'sound similar' to the real-world witnessing of moving
through large landscapes.

The important question, for the composer, is which holds the greater
aesthetic movement? Is it the illusion of reality that is possible
with technology and simulation? ... or is it the realm of meaning that
the listener is enveloped by when listening to musical form?

Etienne

http://etiennedeleflie.net