While at NAB2014 in Las Vegas earlier this week I stumbled upon a small company
(http://www.video-stitch.com/)  with a 360 degree video product offering. Their
product was actually software running on a computer that stitches together the
streams from four video cameras.

The resulting stream is fed into an Oculus Rift VR headset. You can look around
the scene in a very natural way, the systems rendering the stream that most
correctly reflect your current perspective.

The camera arrangement very closely resembled the  tetrahedral array of
microphones common to Soundfield mics. I took a pic with my phone.

http://www.mgraves.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/2014-04-07-11.31.15.jpg

The company had no knowledge of Ambisonics, but said that processing audio
corresponding to the spherical video was on their wish list. I gave them a
brief introduction and showed them a picture of a Core Sound Tetra mic to get
them started down the path.

They seemed to be quite enthusiastic about it.

Michael