We're doing this kind of video recording and Rift playback, using a
TetraMic for the audio.  Ambisonics seems to be the only sane choice for
this kind of material.  The only other VR application I've encountered that
uses it was at the Stanford VR lab.  Our recent press coverage has lots of
shots of the TetraMic.

http://time.com/49228/jaunt-wants-to-help-hollywood-make-virtual-reality-movies/
http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/03/jaunt-vr/?ncid=rss_truncated
http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/03/jaunt-vr/