If only we had loudspeakers that were invisible, weightless, required no power or cable, could be moved and resized at will and be placed anywhere without support, could be passed through by human beings with no injury, and were capable of producing high quality sound at any level, etc., we could do it using one speaker per sound source.

Ciao,

Dave Hunt

On 7 Nov 2014, at 17:00, sursound-requ...@music.vt.edu wrote:

From: Augustine Leudar <augustineleu...@gmail.com>
Date: 7 November 2014 16:18:08 GMT
To: Surround Sound discussion group <sursound@music.vt.edu>
Subject: Re: [Sursound] The "BUCKET LIST" for Ambisonics? - or only how to proceed with Head tracked Binaural listening directivity control ?

Hi Dave,
Is that the one that adds bass to the signals that come closer ? I only ask because I have never heard an ambisonics composition that successfully made the sound seem close to the listener which is weird because that's what a
lot of people assumes it can do - and I have heard a lot of ambisonics
compositions in the Sonic lab which is is a 48 speaker array in an
acoustically pretty controlled environment by people from all over the
world. I've also read papers from Ircam where researchers claimed they
could get sounds to come a couple of metres inside the array effectively but no more - they almost blew up Ircams system apparently when the bass of
the nearfield went out of control. Nonetheless its possible that the
artists involved didn't have access to the right software for encoding such NFC-HOA recordings - is there any software around with which I could try it out ? I would be interested in moving synthesised sounds around with some sort of panner rather than replaying recordings. I have had some success at this with ICSTs panner - as you say with fast moving sources - but I put this down to psychoacoustic effects rather than wavefront shinanigans -
plus as somebody will no doubt point out this is ambisonics equivelant
pannin. . WFS of course but its a lot of speakers to lug around - so for the time being if I want a sound to seem likes its close to someone I put a hidden speaker close to them and use Dbap - I find ambisonics useful for surround sound panning as it seems to fill the holes better - especially if
you can adjust the directivity. Anyway - Id love to give any NFC-HOA
software out there a test drive if there's any available,
all the best,
Gus