From: Jon Honeyball <j...@jonhoneyball.com>
Date: 14 January 2015 08:59:19 GMT
To: Surround Sound discussion group <sursound@music.vt.edu>
Subject: Re: [Sursound] AES London Lecture

It was an interesting presentation. The demonstration was not wholly
convincing, I have to say — (a bongo drum sound that you could manually
steer around the horizontal sound field) I think I have heard better
surround from normal ambisonics. A claim for this system is that it is
more convincing away from the “sweet spot”. Again, on the demo, I wasn’t
particularly convinced, with notable collapse and fail-over from one
speaker to the next especially from 90 degrees to 180 degrees. In
fairness, it wasn’t a particularly easy demo environment, with a lot of
people in the room. In a more purist test, it might well do better?

As I said, interesting and well worth attending, despite the limitations.

And, my goodness, doesn’t Kings College have *dreadful* internal signage?
Trying to get out turned into an episode of a maze game.

jon