Marc Lavallée wrote:

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 23:15:46 +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
can't comment on the 28, but .4 is very very nice indeed.

i just built a third-order horizontal system for LAC 2015 with only
two subwoofers, and it took a lot of tweaking to hide all the wrong localisation cues that two frontal subs bring. unfortunately, putting them at 0 and 180° and doing a front/back decode was not feasible due
to the room layout and the fact that we also needed the subs for a
frontal LCR stereo system.. i digress. hooray for a real wxy sub
decode.

A third sub would have been enough. I use a equilateral triangle of
small subs, in a left/right/rear configuration, half a meter from the
floor.

--
Marc

3 subs seems to be  a convincing LFE setup proposal...

If you would not need any LF directions, x.1 formats (= 1 sub) would suffice.

Many cinema surround formats (10.2, 22.2) use two LFE channels from the front. IF you need this for more convincing results, you could argue that you will need at least three subs in the horizontal plane.

(Assuming that we can hear < some but not much > LFE direction.)

Best,

Stefan