Hello Henk.

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 12:38:53 +0200, "Henk | Spook.fm" wrote :
> My question is: Who can help us find the best libraries for
> ambisonics audio to use in the 360 Video player.

I started a similar project, for the web: http://ambisonic.xyz/
A new version (working, but not yet published) will be "full sphere".

> So far we have come up with the following:
>
> you can seem to play ambisonics files with these:
> https://github.com/ComposersDesktop/CDP7/tree/b085aa141fa93c98ae137feae5e7c58d656ddfdd/dev/externals/mctools
> and
> http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/
>
> Are these the same?

Short answer: no.

> which one would be best for this project?

I created a batch processor to convert and compress ambisonic files,
using a combination of command-line utilities from the mctools and
libsndfile, and others. To be published, eventually...

> Are there other options for rotation? People have experience with
> these libraries? Which one would be best for this project?

I use the h1b_rotate.dsp Faust processor from ADT (by Aaron Heller):
https://bitbucket.org/ambidecodertoolbox/adt/
It provides a rotation transformation for each axis (yaw, pitch, roll).

> Where can I find the best HRTFs?

Try the ones from the ATK "kernels".

> Which one is a good starting point for the “average” head?

From the ATK kernels, there's the HRIRs based on the "spherical" model
by Richard O. Duda (number 4 is the average, other variations
correspond to smaller and bigger spheres).

Try my player on ambisonic.xyz...

There's also the hb1_to_binaural.dsp Faust processor from ADT, also
based on the spherical model. The spherical model is is for "horizontal
only" decoding, but for interactive media it's not a serious problem.

> If anyone has some suggestions or tips for this project it is very
> much appreciated.

I hope it helps.

> I will keep this group informed about future progress.

Please do!

Marc