On 22/07/2015 11:38, Henk | Spook.fm wrote:
Dear Surround Sound Discussion Group,
My question is: Who can help us find the best libraries for
ambisonics audio to use in the 360 Video player.

So far we have come up with the following:

you can seem to play ambisonics files with these:
https://github.com/ComposersDesktop/CDP7/tree/b085aa141fa93c98ae137feae5e7c58d656ddfdd/dev/externals/mctools

and
http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/

Are these the same? which one would be best for this project?

As the author of MCTools I should probably offer an answer. They are basically utilities for assembling, disassembling, recording and playing multichannel files, including but not only AMB; and there they include very vanilla encoding and decoding (regular layouts, no filtering, no binaural). A simple circular (rotating, up to 2nd-order horizontal) pan is available, but no tumble/rotate etc processes. Whereas libsndfile is a comprehensive C library for reading and writing soundfiles in umpteen formats. AMB support (in terms of recognising the file format; no processing) was added some while ago - which is why AMB is now somewhat supported in Adobe Audition. MCTools mostly uses my own minimalist soundfile library "portsf", limited to PCM WAVE and AIFF files (of course including AMB).

The link above is for the sources, as included with the Open-Source CDP distribution.

Binaries (OS X, Windows) for MCTools can be got here:

http://people.bath.ac.uk/masrwd/mctools.html

Richard Dobson