From: Sursound [mailto:sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu] On Behalf Of Jörn
Nettingsmeier
Sent: 09 December 2015 14:00
To: Surround Sound discussion group <sursound@music.vt.edu>
Subject: [Sursound] vertical precendence and summing localisation (wallis and
lee 2015)

On 12/08/2015 09:07 PM, Peter Lennox wrote:
> no -percedence effects include a range of phenomena. But precedence in
> the median plane isn't quite as effective as in the azimuthal plane,
> according to Litovsky, Rakerd, Hartmann et al, but is still quite
> effective and so not negligible. So I'd like to understand what Lee
> (Huddersfield) was saying, to compare.

i've attached the paper, since it is open access.
i guess i misrepresented it a bit, because i was being sloppy about
distinguishing between precedence effect and summing localisation.

however, wallis and lee conclude:

"Additionally, no evidence could be found to support the operation of the
precedence effect in median plane stereophony. In the present study the only
occasions whereby stimuli were localized at the position of the ear- lier
emitting loudspeaker were due to the pitch height ef- fect. There was also no
consistent effect of time panning observed, with localization judgments for the
broadband source becoming more biased towards the upper loud- speaker as ICTD
increased, as opposed to the lower."

[the upper speaker was always lagging behind the lower in this experiment.]

in comparing the results with litovsky et al, it should be pointed out that
while both were conducted under anechoic conditions, the stimuli used by wallis
and lee were long noise snippets with 1s fade-ins and fade-outs rather than
clicks, with no transient information at all (which seem designed to test the
presence of summing localisation), so i guess they are not in direct
contradiction.
it just shows that the musical reality will be somewhere in between...

> Certainly, in respect of producing phantom imagery in the vertical,
> I've found this to be quite effective (though often slightly more
> vague than in horizontal) which would explain why periphonic
> ambisonics works at all - and this seems to be a related issue to the
> precedence one

i found that vbap/stereophonic vertical localisation is excellent on speaker
positions (because it gets the spectral cues right), and unusable anywhere else.
3rd-order ambisonic vertical localisation seems uniformly so-so throughout the
elevation range, which to me is preferrable...

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio) Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net