http://www.blueripplesound.com/hrtf-amber

The IRCAM AKG "Listen" HRTF data contains measured HRTFs from about 50 different people - this must have taken a lot of effort and we're very grateful to the good folk of IRCAM for doing the work and making the results available to the world! What we've done is analyse this data and come up with an 'average' HRTF that is a sensible compromise, using some new work. As it's an average, it wouldn't be perfect for any of the people actually measured, but hopefully not awful for any of them either! It's certainly much better than conventional "panning" techniques.

(See also:

http://www.blueripplesound.com/personalized-hrtfs
)

We provide "generic" HRTFs models (for instance, our Amber HRTF <http://www.blueripplesound.com/hrtf-amber>) which work well for many people, but even better results can be achieved using personalized HRTF measurements.

Could any people, companies or institutions on this list provide access to such a practical and < usable > generic HRTF model?

If not: I believe that some essential theses and papers should have been done in the academic world, but don't exist anyway.

Richard Furse basically states that a "good" generic HRTF is derived from many HRTF measurements (data sets) via some form of averaging, as a "sensible compromise". I doubt that this is a trivial process, though...

Best regards,

Stefan

P.S.: VR companies will currently have to look into these issues, and to find solutions which are practical at least < for most > people. If some proposed HRTF data set doesn't fit to an individual listener it should be pretty hard to distinguish between front/back sources, for example. (Even with head-tracking.)

Don't tell me that I didn't present a paper to prove my point... Instead, give me the link to a paper which delivers some kind of optimized generic HRTF data set. If such a paper doesn't exist (yet), I don't see any reason why something like "Amber HRTF" can't be re-engineered. (Amber HRTF itself is derived from IRCAM AKG "Listen" HRTF data, a public available list. And even IRCAM should be interested to provide a good universal HRTF based on its own and public HRTF research!)