You are right, the SOFA effort is important.
Here I see that many more data sets are available now:
http://www.sofaconventions.org/mediawiki/index.php/Files
I suspect that there will be many different solutions based of
the available sets.

I don't think there could be a "universal" or optimal HRTF data set,
but I'm not a scientist, so maybe such a thing could exist. I don't
know if the publicly available data sets are good enough, if much
more measures are required, and if a simple matching method could help
listeners to find the best. Or if HRTF synthesis (LocaPhoto) have a
future.

But I'm sure that we can use existing HRTFs and adapt the experience in
creative ways, as with any other audio technology, because audio
producers never waited for the ultimate technology to appear and be
universally adopted.

--
Marc