I have decided to simplify  the DIY head tracking dongle build and setup in
some aspects, now I have ordered this sensor that do not need initial
calibration.
This is the new sensor module:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neopixel-uberguide/overview

It will initially be combined with a esp8266 module for WiFi connectivity
or maybe Bluetooth
http://www.esp8266.com/wiki/doku.php?id=getting-started-with-the-esp8266
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Promotion-Brand-NEW-HC-05-Wireless-Bluetooth-RF-Transceiver-Module-serial-RS232-TTL/32367579918.html

Power will probably be from one of these, giving around 10 hours of
operations:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/4PCS-Hot-Sale-Soshine-900mAh-14500-battery-3-2V-LiFePO4-AA-Rechargeable-Battery/32242320597.html

I will send OSC (open sound control
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Sound_Control) directly from the
sensor.

This should simplify the build of the head tracked sensor, reducing the
soldering need.

This should simplify the setup of playback using
http://www.matthiaskronlachner.com/?p=2015
And maybe later ambiexplorer can be modified to accept OSC data?

This will allow you to use any headphones and DAC and amplifier

Best regards

Bo-Erik

I want to see a good quality over the ear stereo headphone with all
necessary electronics built into the headband. It will have single usb
connector which will provide power and digital audio (24 bit) and carry
head tracking information back to the computer, which will have the
software to play standard first order B-format files decoded to binaural,
using simple HRTF filters. The computer can be your desktop, a tablet
computer or a mobile.

umashankar